Hawksley BL8 Alumin...

Notifications
Clear all

Question Hawksley BL8 Aluminium Bungalow

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Has anyone on here been able to get a mortgage for a Hawksley BL8 Bungslow or had any work done to it that makes it "mortgageable"? If so what work did you get carried out? Thanks

Maz 25 January 2024 6:28 PM

@mario, did you manage to obtain a mortgage? I am in a similar position, have had a mortgage in principle from the Halifax but their valuer advised against lending

Mario Topic starter 16 February 2024 10:51 AM

Unfortunately not. Pulling my hair out here. 

3 Answers

Hey, my hawksley was original 4.5 years ago and Halifax lent against it. Since then, it has now been bricked up. We are remortgaging and nationwide have refused the mortgage as its a pre fab even though it's been bricked up. Very wierd. 

Admin Admin 15 February 2024 8:53 PM

@r055bud That's very strange indeed. Once the original framework has been removed, replaced with loadbearing masonry brickwork, and a new roof fitted, the building is technically no longer a prefabricated structure. 

What did the surveyor write in his/her report?

r055bud 15 February 2024 8:57 PM

We never saw the report. But got the mortgage with Nat west now. All going through as we speak. 

Mario Topic starter 16 February 2024 10:53 AM

@r055bud What part of the world are you in? I'm in Northern Ireland and getting nowhere fast

r055bud 16 February 2024 7:44 PM

Im in Hereford, West Midlands.

Hi everyone, I am hoping to put a brick skin on my Hawsley BL8 bungalow. Can anyone advise if the external aluminium has to be removed before I add the brick skin and cavity insulation, or can I add the external insulation directly to it?

Maz 24 February 2024 12:19 AM

@andy-pandy I hope you don’t mind me asking but how did you find the purchase of your bungalow? I’m really struggling to get a mortgage on mine?

Andy Pandy 27 February 2024 9:39 AM

Hi there, sorry I am no help, as I did not need a mortgage to purchase.

I found in the past the smaller companies are a bit more helpful. All the best finding one

Topic starter

We did a block skin 2 years ago but kept the aluminium skin on and added bead  insulation into the cavity space. Don't know if that's what the best option is but went through an architect so hoping its good

Andy Pandy 27 February 2024 9:41 AM

@mario  - thanks for that information. Currently looking at brick and full fill solid cavity insulation, but will also look at the bead insulation. Did you also replace the roof? and if yes did you strip off cladding and replace trusses etc or just cover over the existing?