How does the Survey...

Notifications
Clear all

Buying & Selling How does the Surveyor survey steel frame where bolted to the floor slab

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
griff001
(@griff001)
Topic starter

Hi, 

I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if someone could help me please. 

I own my BISF house for five years now and wanted to re-mortgage.

I have been asked:

A report should be obtained from a structural engineer confirming exposure of the steel frame where bolted  to the floor slab sufficient to provide an opinion that rusting has not taken place, confirmation that the property has been upgraded in fire prevention terms in respect of  fire stops  fire resistant  party wall in the roof space etc, that any  insubstantial  and combustible  cladding  materials  have been  replaced”.

Has this been requested by anyone before and how did the surveyor do it?

Posted : 5 September 2022 8:32 PM
crvb1992
(@crvb1992)

Hi Griff, 

i purchased my BISF house 11 months ago now and one of the mortgage providers asked similar questions. i believe a surveyor would have to drill small holes in the corners of the property and insert a small camera in to view the bottom of the steels also called an "intrusive survey". we didn't actually end up going with that provider we went with Santander who didn't ask for any further surveys and didn't seem too fussed that it was a steel frame house. i know this isn't much help to you but that's as much as i know!

all the best 

Posted : 15 September 2022 12:42 PM
griff001
(@griff001)
Topic starter

@crvb1992 

I really appreciate you getting back to me about this topic.

My mortgage broker has a preference with one mortgage provider.

Now, I will look into other mortgage providers.

Than you. 

Posted : 15 September 2022 4:43 PM
crvb1992
(@crvb1992)

@griff001 if thats no good maybe reach out to local surveyors and ask how much an intrusive survey may be. 

let me know how you get on im intrigued!

Posted : 15 September 2022 4:48 PM
David B
(@daveb)

Great advice by CRVB there. Some surveyors will be happy to use a borescope, others will insist on cutting away a small section of exterior render, to gain access to the stanchion base. (This would need repairing afterwards and is more costly).

A third way is to access the stanchion base from inside the house by cutting away a small section of the wall covering at floor level. Typically this would take place in the corner of the Kitchen, near to the back door, where the cooker was originally placed. This method is easily repairable whilst still allowing decent access. 

I hope whichever method you choose, the survey goes well.

Good luck

Posted : 16 September 2022 10:33 PM
Share: