Notifications
Clear all

Due to unprecedented demand for our services, we now have a temporary home here at nonstandardhouse.com

BISF House Flue Frame Removal Question  

Page 2 / 2

crsmit
Registered
(@crsmit)

Hi, 2 years back i bought my first home which is the bisf construction. We thinking of taking down all thewalls downstairs and removing the fireplace so that it can be a nice big open plan room. By looking at the pictures above, there is a lot of steel supports around the chimney. Can one remove this or is it a structural support that cant be removed?

1 Reply
Ed (Senior Member)
Registered
(@ed)

Reputable Member

Hi, the steel frame around the flue only supports the boxing-in around the flue itself, so that can safely be removed together with the flue pipe. However there are three steel elements in the downstairs walls that cannot be removed. Right across the middle of the house in the top of the wall that separates the living room from the dining room and the kitchen from the hallway there is a large steel I-beam that supports the framework of the floor above. This in turn is supported by two stanchions (vertical steel elements). One is in the corner between the living room/hall/kitchen and the other is roughly half way between the flue and the doorway between the living room and dining room.

Marc has posted a photo of a house where the wall between the living room and dining room has been removed that shows the stanchion left as a pillar but unfortunately I can't find it.

Ed

dandydan
Registered
(@dandydan)

We have completed the frame removal ready for the log burner to be installed, was a big job but well worth it, will upload a step by step guide at a later date as we logged the project with many photos.

3 Replies
dannyc
Registered
(@dannyc)

Eminent Member

Hi there, I'm new here, just about to purchase a BISF house and will want to remove the breast. Having see your picture, keeping the flue looks great when painted. What did you do to clean it up?

dandydan
Registered
(@dandydan)

We used the same heat paint used to refurb old log burners, used a wire brush attachment and wet/dry paper to clean it off, very messy but we'll worth the hassle. Been in just over 2 years now and still as good as the day it was painted.

dannyc
Registered
(@dannyc)

Eminent Member

Good to know. Thanks! Have you exposed it through the first floor too?

BISF Admin
Admin
(@bisfadmin)
Noble Member

Hi Dan, I hope you are well.

It's been a while since you posted your logburner thread on the site, but it would be great to see some of your photographs outlining your project as we have a few people lookin to undertake a similar upgrade at the moment.

If you could share some of your images or if you have rather a lot of them, you could always send them to us via email and we can upload them for you into a gallery?

Our address is admin@bisfhouse.com

Marc

Page 2 / 2
Share:
Scroll to Top