Notifications
Clear all

DIY BISF Groundfloor screed

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@cljxr27)
Topic starter

Does anyone know what the black bitumen screed is made of on top of the concrete screed in a BISF house.It smells like a tar based substance but what is its use ?

Posted : 15 April 2024 7:59 PM
(@david)

Hi, I’m not a builder and not qualified to answer this question but have sone limited experience with house renovations.

Firstly, I don’t think anyone can be 100% sure without getting it tested. I have however seen this myself in a 1970s property that was standard build. It was a bitumen based product that was used to stick down a parquet floor. The wood had been lifted but left the bitumen behind. Someone mentioned that the bitumen was often mixed with asbestos in the 1960s / 70s.  

Alternatively it could have been used just as a seal for a damp course. Like this product: 

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-black-jack-damp-proof-membrane/p10290?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=_dm&pcrid=null&pkw=null&pmt=null&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD-vLcV-D3GWZkOexnm6v1t38QCzM&gclid=CjwKCAjw9IayBhBJEiwAVuc3fv6gapuI8oI1ZWPtrgdy3_tw9w-ycm_dxOMtdI5G3Z0CfPZMsQ9TKxoCFnsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its an effective way to stop damp.

Hope that’s of sone help.

David 

Posted : 13 May 2024 8:38 PM
(@cljxr27)
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply. It appears that in the hallway they used Black and White Marley tiles on top of the black bitumen which is a DPC. I had it tested and its the Marley tiles that have a trace of asbestos. I have since had it professionally removed.

Posted : 22 May 2024 8:14 AM