Notifications
Clear all

New conservatory roof

Page 2 / 2
jaybee
Registered

Getting an estimate on Monday night for a new conservatory roof (polycarbonate at present)

This involves new gutters, spars etc etc fitted onto the existing walls etc. Basically a new roof dropped onto the conservatory.

We don't mind the polycarb but being SW facing it does get a tad warm in the summer (freezing in the winter though) and a pain to clean and keep clean.  My question is "Is it worth paying double the cost (4k ish as opposed to 2k ish) to have a Guardian Warm Roof System replacement instead?

Anyone have this warm roof type installed?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12:12 pm
jaybee
Registered

I think the one I have just ordered may be the same as yours Smile

I can get the electrician to sort it out for me on Tuesday hopefully

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PTC-Over-Door-Heater-Cold/dp/B00BC59DP0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512337927&sr=8-1&keywords=door+fan+heater

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 9:53 pm
Admin
Admin
Posted by: Jaybee

Marc I am in awe at the work (and the standard of that work) you do in your home.

I should have hired you when we first bought the house all those years ago and given you free reign over what to do with the house (maybe not quite as contemporary as you as we are old fuddy duddies now)

Sorry Jaybee, missed this reply yesterday.

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm certainly no pro though and I must admit I do make a fair few mistakes along the way. I think it's just part of being self taught through lots of trial and error.

Talking of trial and error, I'm right in the middle of building the porch right now and sadly I haven't taken that many photos of the process so far but boy have I felt like smashing it up a few times and calling the real pros in lol.

I've got a nice afternoon in front of me screeding the floor today but at least it's not frosty or raining.

You've been quite lucky with the weather too in respect to the conservatory, not a good time for a heavy downpour. Thank goodness we've had a few decent days.

The heater should be pretty straightforward to install I hope, probably from a spur or tapping into the socket ring. It's a nice addition which makes the conservatory useable on those chillier days.

And less of the old Fuddy Duddy's lol, age is but a number :0)

P.s is that the remnants of snow that I see on the lawn?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10:18 am
jaybee
Registered

Yes - still a bit of snow around.

Ritchie is on putting the tapco tiles on the conservatory roof, and first of three layers of insulation are up inside. Everything is precut and just slots into place.

He is hoping to start on out porch roof tomorrow - a simpler job - polycarb off - exterior ply and felt laid and tapco over the top. Inside is just one layer of insulation and plasterboard. Plaster comes on Friday to plaster both conservatory and porch.

Electrician today for first fit in conservatory (I'll talk to him about fitting the heater for me)

Can't quite make out the electrics on you heater but it looks like you used a fused switch rather than socket?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10:39 am
jaybee
Registered

Tapco tiles going on. Not sure if you can see in the photo (taken through bedroom window) but each tile has alignment/overlap markings etc.

DSC7718
 DSC7720
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 3:37 pm
jaybee
Registered

Awaiting plasterer coming on Friday to finish the ceiling of the conservatory.  Electrician comes Monday to fit spotlights.

2nd layer of insulation

DSC7721

3rd layer of 2" insulated plasterboard going up (Making 5" of insulation in total)

DSC7726

Tapco tiles completed

DSC7724
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 7:21 pm

I've heard that the Guardian roofs don't make that much of a difference for the money you pay. We've just had Sagars 365 install insulation on ours, which they apply to the existing roof. Works a treat, and the best money we've spent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 1:41 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: