Notifications
Clear all

Can anyone identify this type of house?  

RSS

Hi,

I live in one of these houses and am trying to identify the kind of build it is.

I have had a surveyor from my landlord's insurance company visit and said it was a timber-framed property. I can't tell what cladding they have rendered over.  It has a metal roof and the upper floor ceilings go up into the eaves (i.e they are not flat). I found planning permission on the Newham website that shows Building Control approval in 1975.

I noticed subsidence to the front wall when I moved in July 2019.  Planning website show 2 houses in the street of the same build have been underpinned in the last 12 years. All floors are unlevel and there are cracks around the perimeter the ceiling in each room upstairs.  Just wondering whether this could be the subsidence or the build. Is it at the end of its life or a more modern build?

Thanks in advance x

Screen Shot 2020 04 09 at 19.33.19

front exterior

IMG 4598

Rear exterior

IMG 1329

Bedroom

3 Answers

Well, I think that type of house is Multi-family.

@ladybird I've been researching various non-traditional construction types for the last 5 years now and I must admit that I have never come across this particular property before.

Many properties constructed during the 1970's were designed & built by smaller independent companies which could be the case here. However, the use of steel sheeting for the roof covering is highly unusual for any property that fall outside the postwar building boom, where steel or other materials were used due the shortage of traditional roof tiles etc.

I had a peek at Newham Councils freedom of information requests, but the council states it does not hold this type of information (which is rather odd).

The Council do however state the following which may be of some use to you.

It may be useful to note that plans for new houses built post war are held in the Reference 
Library at East Ham Town Hall, which may be of use to your independent research. 
Please see the relevant web link below; 
https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/ServiceChild/East-Ham-Library.aspx  

I wish you well in you search and would be very interested to know if you are able to identify this  construction type.

The fact that other properties have required underpinning, would suggest that the issue lies below ground, rather than being caused by the structure itself.

John

@drjohn Thank you for your reply.  I have found all of the research quite interesting. Once the libraries are open again I will continue.  I agree regarding the ground, as I found a geotechnical report for the park over the fence having groundwater. The house itself is quite quirky and is not too big or small.  However, this particular property has had many unloved years and I don't think it fit to live in 🙁

I will let you know what I find out.  Keep safe and well!

It is crucial to determine what type of house that is. I guess Dr. John has a point here. You may not have to focus on the structure itself, but maybe it lies below the ground.

Share:
Scroll to Top