Clear all

Identification Is this NSC? I am skeptical but agent says not

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
House 1
House 2

The postcode on this property is PR7 5SF (Gillcroft) and there are similar houses on the street as well as what looks like brick properties. I raised the issue about it being NSC initially but the agent said it wasn't but I am unsure and don't wish to waste time asking for a mortgage if it will be rejected down the line. 

I am also going to be asking the council if they know but unfortunately Chorley appears to not hold details on your list (may have been constructed prior to their existance)

Thanks for your help

1 Answer

Hello Colin, and welcome to the forums.

You're correct regarding Chorley Council. Sadly they do not hold any housing stock as it was transferred to an association who do not need to respond to freedom of information requests.

Now I am glad that you posted your question, because I do believe that there may well be a few things you need to be aware of with this property.

I'm pretty confident that what you have there is a refurbished Airey House, constructed from Precast Reinforced Concrete (PRC).

SEE LINK Airey House Construction

Now, in its original state, the Airey house is classed as Defective under Housing Act Legislation in England & Wales. Meaning that it would be virtually impossible to obtain a mortgage on the property, unless it and any connected property had been fully repaired under a government approved PRC repair scheme, for which a certificate must have been issued and (if possible) be present.

Many local authorities chose to repairs their Defective Housing Stock outside of the PRC repair scheme. This resulted in some Airey Properties being repaired to PRC scheme standard or equivalent, whilst other councils properties were not. 

SEE VIDEO PRC REPAIR YOUTUBE

If an approved PRC repair certificate is present with this house, then it is technically no longer viewed as defective and therefore generally considered as suitable security for mortgage lending purposes through a Non Standard Mortgage provider.

So in summary, if the property has been fully repaired under an approved scheme and a certificate is present, then it is no longer considered to be a defective NSC house, because part of the repair process involves replacing the defective exterior precast wall panels, and replacing them with traditional brick masonry or block, load bearing walls. 

But I would still insist on seeing certification first in order to check if all work is PRC Repair Scheme Approved.

You may also find that the house may be attractively priced, which is generally an indicator of some of the hurdles that you may face when purchasing a repaired property, some of which relates to a cautious market and stigma on behalf of some lenders.

4. Non Traditional Buildings v1

airey house repair prc repair.co.uk
DSC 0651
2022 10 24 11h12 29
aireyphoto
This post was modified 3 weeks ago 4 times by Admin