Notifications
Clear all

Identification Trying to identify the construction of my flat, is it Wimpey No Fines

RSS

Topic starter

Hi there. I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct place.

My query relates to the identification of construction of a property. I own a flat in South Wimbledon which I bought a number of years ago. I had a homebuyer's survey done on it and it stated that the construction is "traditional 250mm cavity brick/blockwork having red facing brick elevations under pitched timber framed roofs covered with manufactured slates [......][t]he top floor flats have mansard roof slopes front and rear [.....][f]loor construction is of suspended concrete, ground floor construction of solid concrete." The flat has been remortgaged a number of times and none of these has ever brought up that the construction was in any way non-standard.

I am now trying to sell the flat and the Nationwide survey has stated that the flat is Wimpey no fines and so they will not provide a mortgage on it. I am trying to find out if this is correct or whether the surveyor could have made a mistake as this has never been raised before, by anyone. I have looked through lists like the one on your website and the estate the flat is on and the block do not come up as ones where there are non-standard constructions in place but I appreciate that that is not definitive.

The address of the property is 44 Lacock Close, London, SW19 1BB. It can be found here. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lacock+Cl,+London+SW19+1BB/@51.4205022,-0.18676,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48760602b275de05:0x56caa65e4a5c9b34!8m2!3d51.4205928!4d-0.186666 It understood that it was built in 1982 (although some documentation which I hold does have the approximate build year as 1978 but I think that that may be linked to the planning permissions originally given in July 1978), and I understood that Wimpey No Fines were built from the '40s to the '70s.

So my questions are how can I confirm what the construction is? Could a surveyor have made a mistake? Are there a lot of mortgage companies which will not mortgage a Wimpey No fines constructed flat?

Any help which can be given is very gratefully received.

@cawi Hi, Anything with a red brick is not likely to be WNF. WNF is a solid poured concrete wall, poured on site. Usually with a render finish externally. Walls are usually 280mm and plastered on the hard internally-which makes it difficult to hang up pictures. If you can see inside any roof space which is on a gable end, would see a grey pebbled textured wall-a bit like the inside of an AERO chocolate bar. Go back to your lender and query the report with them, and explain your concerns. (A 250mm cavity brick/concrete block wall would be considered quite narrow. these are usually 320mm or thicker). I find that lenders are lending on WNF currently, but with anything non traditional, this can change as they age and defects become apparent. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for coming back to me on this.  It really is appreciated.

My problem is that it is the buyer's mortgage company who has instructed the survey and not me so I have no leverage.  I have now lost the buyer who, based on the survey and the information that the flat is of a "Wimpey No Fines" construction, has decided to pull out.

I am trying to gather information to pre-empt this happening again.  As no survey has mentioned the flat being Wimpey No Fines, I have been wondering if there is any way of confirming that it isn't Wimpey No Fines.

I just do not know what to do to show that it is not.  If I had that information, it could be provided to prospective buyers before they approach the mortgage company.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom, gratefully received.

Share: