Notifications
Clear all

BISF House of My Dreams in Braintree Essex  

Page 3 / 3

Grangey (Senior Member)
(@grangey)
Trusted Member

Ed, you sir are making me reveal far too many pictures of my renovation before I am ready to 😛 but funnily enough I did just that only 2 weeks ago;

Yes the inner door surrounds are removable, however without the walls stripped either side (and even with them out) its no easy task. They are bolted in all the way around, 4 on each vertical, 2 at each side at the top joining the horizontal and the vertical, and then 2 adjoining the vertical. The front door came far easier than the rear, as the nuts were on the inside, however the back door was near increadible touch as the bolts were inside and sized on, so I used an angle grider and drill, and by creating 2 cuts on each section at the top and bottom (and on the top part each side) and gradually drilling out the top screw hole large enough to literally rip the frame away from the top, the rest tore off pretty easily afterwards- bar the top, which still needed alot of man handling.

I will warn that this did damage the innter frame of the door very slighly (as you would expect bending things around) but only visually and I dont exect it to cause any issues when boxing it back in.

As for the wooden beam, this is what the flashing from the original asbestos roof for the outhouse adjoined to- you can just see where the copper flashing is pinned over it to the inside.

As you can tell, I've literally gutted this place and rebuilt it from scratch (completely on my own I might add) whilst living in it (..which is a fun experience) and I've taken at the moment about 450 pictures throughout the project, so chances are I have a picture of anything youre uncertain of so if theres anything you'd like to know do feel free to ask! 🙂

Ed (Senior Member)
Registered
(@ed)
Reputable Member

Thanks Grangey! Sorry for making you reveal things prematurely! Your picture shows just what I was expecting, that the reveal could be removed from the outer part (ie leaving the frame round the outside of the door embedded in the render). I'll only remove it when renovating the kitchen which won't be soon as I work full time so finding time is difficult, but thought I'd ask while you had the kitchen gutted. Next on the list is the bathroom so I'll have to deal with diagonal braces like those in the kitchen.

Strangely enough none of the BISF houses in Bath have typical lean-to outhouses and instead have an outhouse with a flat concrete roof so probably there will not be that wooden beam here.

Ed

Grangey (Senior Member)
(@grangey)
Trusted Member

Oh trust me from an insulation perspective those diagonal braces are a royal PAIN, my work around them has been far from ideal but as I have the secondary layer which helps remove thermal bridging Im happy enough that this should help pick up any deficiencies my appauling cutting skills have left behind! Funnily enough the bathroom is the only room I haven't yet (but Ive done the 3rd bedroom which is of course identical just mirrored) done as Im waiting to start and finish the new downstairs shower room first so I can naturally always have a working bathroom.

The wooden beam sits directly on top of the concrete walls (which in my case are not concrete blocks, but actually nothing more than a metal mesh skimmed both sides with concrete) and is just below the bottom of the steel cladding, so probably wouldnt even be visible looking down from upstairs as you have the steel cross brace the cladding attaches to blocking the view. Depending on the height of the concrete roof though and particularly the flashing, I wouldnt be all that surprised to find something similar in place on yours so it will be interesting to see what you discover. Good luck with it 🙂

Grangey

Ed (Senior Member)
Registered
(@ed)
Reputable Member

I was expecting the braces to be difficult as they appear to obstruct the void that I had put the main layer of insulation in (70mm of Celotex/Kingspan) in the other rooms, so I'm not really looking forward to that!

The bathroom is next as while all the rooms were shabby, the bathroom is actually quite urgent as the grouting has failed (emergency repair with silicone) causing tiles to fall off and water to soak through to the kitchen ceiling.

Ed

Rafi
 Rafi
Registered
(@rafi)

Hello guys. I have just brought a house at Rosemary avenue Braintree.
I need a few tips to do with putting in insolation into the walls.
What method is the most effective? And can someone recommend a company that would do this?
I would also like to change the windows and do central heating. Thanks in advance.

Page 3 / 3
Share:
Scroll to Top