Notifications
Clear all

Question Widen back door?

johnfish
Registered

Hi All,

Thanks for setting up this awesome forum.  I have been through it and looked at all the photos of exposed steel frame before asking this question....

Is it possible to widen the back door?  The back door is actually on the side of the house (as you know!).  I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I wanted to make sure.

Our house has an extension from the kitchen to the side of the house - the dining room is in the extension, through what used to be the back door.  I would like to widen this doorway and put internal French doors in...

Thank you!

John

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 9:27 am
johnfish
Registered

It is a BISF house

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 9:31 am
Admin
Admin

Hi John, thank you for your kind comments, it's always great to hear our users feedback.

In relation to your question, unfortunately it's not possible to widen any of the doors on a BISF house without undertaking major structural work to replace the support stanchion that would need to be removed to facilitate this type of improvement.

You may also find that your local building control officer may totally prohibit stanchion removal  but this does vary per local authority.

Just for info, we do have a door replacement image gallery that our member Rusla shared, which you can view HERE. It should give you an idea of the overall structure.

Quite simply put, there a floor to eaves level steel stanchions running vertically beside every window and door opening of the BISF house structure.  To widen the door, you would need to cut away a portion of the stanchion leg, which would leave the level above unsupported.

I'll post an image below which you may have already seen on the site, just to give you a better perspective of the stanchion locations each side of the door.

bisf exposed frame side elevation

ReplyQuote
Posted : 1:54 pm
johnfish
Registered

@nsh-team thank you so much for your comprehensive reply.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 7:39 pm
Admin
Admin

@johnfish

Glad to help John, that's what we're here for.

One of your other options if you haven't done this already, is to replace your current dining room window with French windows or Patio doors. That's if your dining room window does indeed face your rear, as there are several BISF ground floor layouts in existence.

This allows you to work in between the widest stanchions on the rear wall of the house. This would mean the French doors could only be as wide as your existing dining room window.

We do have a gallery post regarding this process which is quite within the realms of a competent DIY'er. All you need to ensure is that your current rear walls are in good condition with not signs of horizontal or vertical cracking, because the area beneath the existing window would need to be cut back and the edges/ reveals made good. If the render is already cracked or in poor condition then I would call in a builder to undertake this as large areas of the render wall could fall away and need to be replaced.

Whatever you to decide to do, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.   Hi  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 4:51 pm

@nsh-team hiya. 

we are wanting to do this too. Could you not put an RSJ in horizontally. We have a structural engineer booked. Don’t want to waste my money on it if impossible ! 
thanks. 😊

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11:40 am
Share: