Member Submitted Post
In this latest feature we take a fly on the wall look at Denton’s BISF Dressing Room Project detailing the renovation and remodeling of his newly acquired BISF House interior.
Denton is a valued member and regular contributor to the BISF House community and has very kindly agreed to share his renovation experience with us in the hope that it will help other BISF owners who may be planning to undertake similar work.
Denton is turning the small box room of his house into a walk in dressing room and we follow his on going progress.
The posts below are in Denton’s own words with only minimal editing for continuity.
Dentons BISF Dressing Room Project.
Original Entry Date March 12th 2012
I’ve started to wreck my BISF house and it would seem my walls are completely different to others. The upstairs walls to the outside of the building are not plasterboard as I originally thought, instead they are a thick compressed straw material that looks like a real fire hazard. Unfortunately that means it doesn’t seem to have stud-work like other houses, which will mean more work & expense when re-boarding and insulating.
On a positive note, the previous owners had the upper level of the property covered in uPVC cladding which may well be insulated.
I have posted a selection of images above showing the inside of my house.
The box room at the front was going to be a spare bedroom, but the project has snowballed. I’m now going to scrap the spare bed and turn the room into a dressing room. It will make use of a wasted room, remove the comforter from my friends stop-overs and allow me to remove both wardrobes in the master bedroom (I planned to replace both wardrobes with a large and modern sliding unit, concealing a TV attached to the chimney breast). Attaching a television to anything attached to the party wall isn’t ideal due to noise.
Here’s a plan what I want to create:
Entry Date 14th March 2012
I got a bit more done on the house today. Just woodwork and decoration type things at the moment. Most of the little room is now papered in 2000 grade lining paper painted in magnolia & I’ve got some feature wall paper on order for the wall with the window (hopefully it will draw the eye from some of the defects on the walls).
I’ve never really worked with wood so this is a bit of a first for me. I managed to get the door test fitted to see how it works & apart from the bit of wood it’s attached to being as straight as a dog’s hind leg, it seems to work.
I still need to add a few support pieces to the partitions either side of the door opening to support the fascia. Hopefully that will be done tomorrow so the decorating can be finished.
I have added several more images including one of my loft area. Notice the welding rod poking up through the ceiling. I was trying to find something solid to screw into but unfortunately it would seem that the joists up there are thick but very far apart.
Entry Date 15th March 2012
Hi all, a few more pics from my little room. I’m planning to take a day of leave tomorrow so I can make some real progress.
I remembered to take a proper camera to the house, so snapped a couple of close ups of the wall material:Entry Date 16th March 2012
Got the door frame, skirting board and television fitted today. Hoping to have the woodwork, walls and floor completed by the end of Sunday. The suspended ceiling is on hold until I have all the parts.