Before I start- Marc, I’ve emailed a copy of the report to you, please take a look and see what you think- if anyone else on here would like a copy to help me out do let me know.
So as I’ve mentioned in a number of my previous posts, I’ve had my offer accepted on a BISF house in Wantage, Oxfordshire. It is in pretty sorry looking state and has literally not been touched internally or externally since first constructed. Now I knew as a result of this it would need some work, but I was hoping most of it was cosmetic and the only major job that would need doing would be the roof- but I was hoping this would still last at least 6-12 months to allow me to release the funds by increasing the mortgage.
So anyway the report is back, and what I would like is someone with a little more knowledge to help give me confidence or tell me to walk away.
There are 2 main things that are my concern;
1) the surveyor was able to remove some loose render in one of the corners of the house which revealed some rust on the sanction. Now the report does say that it did not appear to be degraded much but obviously would recommend full invasive investigation.
So on this point- I understand any soft of rust on the sanctions is not good- but is it something that can take a good few years to get to be a big mahout structural issue? Or once it’s there should immediately be replaced and sorted? (Can ANYONE tell me roughly the cost to get a sanction cut out and replaced?! Surely someone has had it done!?)
2) The roof, I new this would need replacing, but hoped it has a good year or two left in it, however the surveyor describes it as brittle and pourus- and the lean to which shares the same time of roofing (asbestos cement) has actually already got a hole in it). Now on moving in my immediate attention was to be sorting out the interior whilst I wait until I can borrow more money from my mortgage- however if the roof is pourus- is this likely to mean that a) it’s basically leaking so any work I do internally could be ruined quickly? Or is it Infact liveable in this state for a while longer?
I would really appreciate some input before Monday so I know whether to commit to the sale or not!